Monday, September 27, 2010

Talk About Bold and Courageous

A couple weeks ago at the men's bible study I go to, one of the staff members brought up how there was a group that came to our church the previous Sunday morning and brought their religious book called "The Zohar" to the greeters at church and gave it to some of the staff too.  Not only did they bring multiple copies of their book, they also sat quietly and respectfully in all of the services in an attempt to witness to the people of the church.

This sounds crazy, but it was really convicting.  These people were willing to bring their religion to another religion's place of worship and tried to share what they believed about Ultimate Reality.  That's guts.  I started to wonder if I would really ever be willing to do that.  I mean, that takes evangelism to a whole new level if I was willing and bold enough to do something like that. 


It's funny that they take their religion, which is so full of weird mysticism type stuff, and market it to Christians.  Their book, the Zohar, is written in Arabic.  When one of our staff members said to one of them "I don't speak Arabic," the person replied "Well neither do we...but you just glance your eyes over the text and you feel a sense of enlightenment."

How much more should I be willing to share what I believe, the ultimate truth that lies in the Gospel?  Instead I just keep my mouth shut and try to live a good moral life so people will approach me and ask me about why my life is different.  Maybe things are a little backwards...

2 comments:

  1. ""Well neither do we...but you just glance your eyes over the text and you feel a sense of enlightenment."

    When I first read that I thought, how crazy of a thought is that?! But really, don't we do similar things sometimes? How many Christians go to church and sing some songs, and listen to a message and just "feel" so much better and enlightened without actually opening up the Bible on their own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that happens all the time. I mean, its a little bit different-at least we know the words we're saying. But you're right, I dont think we think about or even mean the words we say a lot of times.

    ReplyDelete