Friday, October 1, 2010

This is the Way

The plans for the future are still really uncertain.  I graduate in about 8 months and I don't really have a concrete idea of what I'm going to be doing.  I have several options, so maybe I'll just ramble about the possibilities in order to get a clearer picture of what's on the table.

  • I could go to seminary right after I graduate, so next fall.  At the moment, I kind of have two options in this area.  The first is the one I've been considering all along, going to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest.  For a good period of time that was the only place I'd really want to go.  They're just really missions minded, which I love, and they have a program called 2+2 (or 3) where you would spend two years in a classroom setting learning from books and teachers, and then the last two or three years, they would send you to live on the mission field somewhere and when that time is done you would receive a Masters of Divinity in International Church Planting.  Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.  Plus the campus is amazing. 
    • The other day, one of my professors asked me and this other guy in my class if we were going to seminary after we graduate and that if we were, Mercer's seminary is increasing the number of full rides they'd be giving to PBA students.  She also said that she thought the two of us would be great candidates for that.  While Mercer was never really considered, and its also not a Southern Baptist school (it's some kind of Baptist, just not S.B. I'm not sure how much that matters...)  Going to school for free, or whatever a full ride means is pretty sweet.  I'm looking into whether I can take advantage of that if I choose to not go to seminary right away.
  • I also want to get involved pretty heavily in the mission field after I graduate, most likely in Haiti with Mission of Hope, the place we went to in March.  Amanda and I are both looking into this.  Speaking of her, there's a good chance that we could be looking at getting married next summer (crazy-I know!) so that plays into my decisions on everything since she still has 1 more semester after I would be done.
  • If we don't move to Haiti right away, I could begin to look at the possibility of finding a job, maybe at First Baptist where I'm interning/apprenticing (if that's a word) now.  Or we talked about moving to Ft. Myers and me looking for a job with Mission of Hope's base in America.  Who knows?
Big decisions.  All this didn't really help my decision too much.  I just have to trust God and not get freaked out.  I know he'll straighten out the paths and tell me where he wants me to go.  One of my favorite verses is Isaiah 30:21 which says "And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left."  To me, it makes me pretty confident in realizing that there's no place I can go or nothing I can do to mess up where God wants me.  Maybe that's all head knowledge, and it hasn't fully transitioned into my heart to make it real yet.  That's probably true.  That's something me and God are workin out.

No comments:

Post a Comment